Thursday, January 29, 2009

Next steps?

Well, it has now been something rediculous like 3+ weeks since diagnosis with absolutely no progress. I am starting to have serious doubts that my body will handle things. But most importantly, I WANT THIS OVER! I want to go on with my life. I feel like I am in such a state of limbo. Emotionally I am handling the loss ok, but I just want my life to be back to some sort of normal. I have no idea when I will actually miscarry. I have no sings that it will be soon, or another two weeks! I want to get on with my life! I want something besides looking forward to a miscarriage to look forward to!

I am still not convinced another D&C is the right idea. The thoughts of a 5lb weighted speculum, the possibility of having a tooth knocked out or vocal cords damaged due to intubation for general anesthesia just because I am tired of waiting, is not a good idea.

I just do not know. I am considering the medical management style. Taking the pills and getting it over with. Getting onto the other side. The healing side. I cannot even start healing yet!

2 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for not wanting a d&c. Is there somewhere that discusses the benefits vs risk of taking drugs versus a d&c? What is your ob wanting you to do?

    I was looking at http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/medical_abortion.html and it says medical abortion doesn't work well after nine weeks---is that going to affect you?

    It sucks you have to make these hard choices. ((hugs))
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    My OB never called me back today.. So I do not know what she wants. I do know that her office does not "do" abortions as she stated. So she has no experience with medically managed miscarriage, only surgery.

    Yes what you have found is true, because after 9 weeks in a healthy viable pregnancy, the placenta has really started to develop and makes "detaching" the placenta by taking anti-progesterone, contraction inducing medicine difficult. That is where the curettage (scraping) part comes in.

    The key here is a healthy pregnancy. Even in the two miscarriages I had before, fetal development stopped around 7-8 weeks. So with that, there is not a lot of placenta development. I have not had an ultrasound since 6 weeks, so I am not sure what it looks like in there at the moment.

    But yes, using the medical model and having it "fail" is a real possibility. One reason why I have not chosen that path yet as well.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete