Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gosh, ya think?!??!

Just came across this great blog called The Man Nurse ( http://mannursediaries.blogspot.com/2009/05/nearly-bleeding-to-death-from-cesarean.html ) And he had a post about a woman who prit near died from an "elective" breach cesarean.



The best part I have added below:

""""Why did she have a C-section? It was a scheduled section for breech presentation. The baby was 6 pounds; need I suggest a breech vaginal birth might have been safer? There are two things I see going on here. The first is that people have the impression that c-sections are minor surgical operations. They're not. A section is a major abdominal surgery with multiple risks. The second is that the cost-benefit decision of whether to "let" breech babies come out vaginally has been decided, probably by malpractice insurance policies, to be not worth the cost. But the risks of a breech birth are against the baby (e.g. cord compression by the descending head); the risks of a section are against the baby and mother. If nothing else, this decision presumes 1. risk to more people and 2. consent by the mother to place themselves at higher risk to eliminate one perceived risk to their baby. I don't know that this is a fair decision, and I don't think most mothers are informed that this is the choice they are being compelled by their healthcare providers to make. """"""""

Wow! that is profound! I stated the exact thing when I was coerced into an "elective" cesarean due to my projected to be macrosomic infant! What risk do I take for a percieved risk the OB fears, not only in this pregnancy, but to future pregnancies and the rest of my life?

It is not a fair decision, and women are NOT informed! But most OB's tell you a cesarean is no big deal! That today it is so safe... That it does not matter how the baby arrives! Just that the baby is gueranteed to be 100% healthy by some omipotent OB with a scalpel.

Too bad I do not consider adhesions, numbness, bladder issues, and oh, the ever to be feared exploding uterine incision to be taken lightly as the OB feels when he claims I am healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment